Lemon and Peach layer cake.
I made this cake a while ago and it screams Summer! I had to share it. It’s a pretty easy cake to put together, uses ingredients that you might already have in your pantry and doesn’t really involve a lot of steps. Instead of making a lemon flavoured cake batter, I made a Vanilla sponge and drenched it in lemon flavoured simple syrup. The freshness of the lemon and juicy peaches are a delight to the taste buds and the fact that this cake is not too hard to make is a WINNER!
For the cake-
You will need:
165 g unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
125 g light brown sugar
2 medium sized eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp milk
135 g plain flour
1 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
a good pinch of salt
1/3 cup (80 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
30-40 g plain sugar
You’ll also need: Fresh/canned peaches to fill in between the cake layers
- Preheat your oven to 165º C. Grease and line three 6 inch round cake pans and keep aside.
- In a medium-large sized bowl take your unsalted butter and sugar and blend using a whisk or a hand held blender (or a standing mixer)
- Once the butter and sugar are creamed properly, add your room temperature eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Then add the vanilla.
- Once blended well sift in your flour, corn four, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients, add the yogurt and milk halfway.
- Do not over mix. Once all the dry ingredients are blended, do not mix any further. Divide the cake batter evenly into the cake pans. Bake the cakes for about 20-25 minutes, till a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cakes bake, take the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Keep aside to cool.
- Once baked, leave the cakes to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Then run a sharp knife or offset spatula around the edges of the cake and remove the cakes from the pan. Brush the cakes (top and bottom) with the lemon syrup.
- Once the cakes cool down completely, cover the cake in the frosting of your choice and add thinly sliced peaches between the cake layers. Top the cake with even more peaches, add a few berries too if you wish.
I covered my cake with cream cheese frosting. You can find the recipe here.(Leave out the salted caramel)
9. Refrigerate the cake for about 30-40 mins before serving. You can store the cake in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 2 days.
If you want to see how the inside of the cake looks like, head over to my Instagram!