Who doesn’t love a good old chocolate cake? I mean, come on! Throw in some cherry liqueur, fresh cherries and whipped cream and I’m soldddd!! You need to make this cake for the next birthday in your house or the next family dinner, cause it’s going to blow your mind how well this cake turns out!
Black Forest Cake
- 275 g plain flour
- 280 g brown sugar
- 60 g castor sugar
- 65 g Dutch processed cocoa powder or regular cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 ml coconut milk/regular milk Use full fat
- 1 1/2 tsp Apple Cider vinegar
- 120 ml flavourless vegetable oil I used sunflower
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml water + 2 tsp instant coffee granules
- Whipped cream according to your preference
- Cherry liqueur optional and according to preference or add the liquid from the pack of canned cherries if using
- Chocolate shavings
- 250 g fresh cherries
- Preheat your oven to 175°C and grease and line three 7 inch round cake pans. In a large bowl mix the coffee into the warm water, add the oil and sugar and mix well.
- Once the liquid is not hot, add the eggs one by one, mixing after each addition. DO NOT add the eggs to the hot liquid or else they will scramble. Then add your vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift your flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda then add this to your wet mixture in three stages alternating with the milk. Lastly add the vinegar.
- Bake your cakes for about 25 minutes, keep checking after 20. Let the cakes cool on a wire rack before taking them out of the pan.
- Brush your cakes with the cherry liqueur and layer them up with freshly whipped cream and chopped cherries (you can also use canned cherries) add some chocolate shavings and voila!
- Refrigerate the cake for about an hour and serve!
This cake works everytime for me, and I love the way it is soft and melts in the mouth! Do give it a try and do give your feedback. Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook to join our amazing food journey!