Roulade or Swiss Roll, both mean the same to me and it has been one of those intimidating things which I would always put off because it seemed really tough. But well as part of my collaboration with Sprig, I decided to give it a go! Believe me it is not as hard as it seems and the result is spectacular! The decadent chocolate and subtle spice of ginger go really well, add a little cream cheese and it’s a ticket to heaven. Make this dessert to impress your friends and you won’t be disappointed.
Preparation time: 20-25 mins
Cooking time: 13-15 mins
Serves: 8-10 people
For the sponge:
4 large eggs
120 g castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
25 ml flavorless oil (any vegetable oil should work)
60 g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
30 g cocoa powder
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp baking powder
Extra cocoa powder and icing sugar for sprinkling
For the filling:
150 g Cream Cheese (softened at room temperature)
70-100 g icing sugar (sifted)
1-2 tbsp Sprig Montane Ginger Marmalade
- Grease and line (with parchment) a 12Χ14 inch baking tray, preheat your oven to 180°C. Microwave the required amount of Sprig Montane Ginger Marmalade till it’s loosened up a bit and keep aside.
- Sift the flour, salt, coffee, baking powder and cocoa in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a clean large bowl, add the eggs, sugar and vanilla and whisk using a hand held blender or standing mixer until the mixture is fluffy and the colour becomes a pale yellow.
- Add the oil slowly and then add the marmalade and blend well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for about 13-15 minutes, check after 13 and remove once a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- ROLLING THE CAKE: Once you take the cake out of the oven, let it sit for about 5 minutes, run a sharp knife through the edges just to release any bits of the cake that is stuck to the pan.
- Take a large sheet of parchment paper and sift enough cocoa powder and sugar to make a thin layer on the parchment (to prevent the cake from sticking) then when the cake is still warm, release it on to this parchment paper.
- Put another sheet of parchment paper on top of this cake and very gently roll the cake with the second sheet of parchment still inside. Keep it aside and let it cool down.
6. As the cake cools, in a separate bowl take your room temperature cream cheese and whisk using a hand blender till you see no lumps, then add sugar and marmalade and blend till fully incorporated.
7. Once the cake cools down, gently unroll it, remove the parchment that was inside and spread the filling evenly. Roll the cake again and carefully place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
8. When you serve, sprinkle some more cocoa powder and icing sugar, cut a slice and resist the urge to eat the entire thing in one go.
Buy your Sprig Montane Ginger Marmalade today and make this masterpiece! Also when you buy the Ginger Marmalade you can use the coupon ‘BAKESALOTLADY’ and avail a 15% discount at checkout! HURRY UP! Only the first 10 people can avail this offer. Go get yours!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and Facebook to stay updated on our delicious food journey, and if you make this recipe then do post a picture and use the hashtag #bakesalotlady on Instagram! If you have any queries and/or feedback you can also go to the contact section of this website and get in touch 🙂