Ginger is one of my most favourite flavours. Starting from chai, savoury dishes, gingerbread cookies and cakes. Ginger is one versatile flavour! So when the people over at Sprig asked me if I was interested in working with a new product they launched I was elated. This cake is simple, yummy, super soft and very easy to make.
Serve it with tea, as an afternoon snack or make it for a family gathering. It’s a delight to share (or just eat it all yourself :p)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35-40 mins
Yield: one 9 inch bundt cake (serves 7-8)
For the cake:
150g unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
A pinch of salt
70ml caramel (it gives a beautiful colour to the cake)
30 ml milk
60ml orange juice
2 tsp orange zest
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp vanilla
For the glaze
100g cream cheese
80g icing sugar
1. In a microwave safe bowl, heat up the milk for about 1 minute, then add the Sprig Montane Ginger Marmalade and mix well, keep aside to cool. Zest and juice a large orange in a separate bowl and keep aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 175°C, grease and flour a 9 inch bundt pan (I have a shallow 9 inch bundt pan, if you have a deeper pan, kindly use a smaller pan. You can also use an 8 inch round/square pan)
3. In a separate bowl, take your room temperature butter, oil, sugar and salt and whisk till incorporated well. (You can also use a hand blender or stand mixer)
4. Add the eggs one by one, whisking after each addition, then add vanilla, milk and marmalade mixture, orange juice and zest. Mix until blended.
5. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon into the butter mixture and then add the caramel. Whisk well, but do not over mix.
6. Add the batter into the bundtt pan (it should fill about 3/4th of the pan) and bake for about 30-35 minutes depending on your oven. Check after 30 minutes, remove from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.*
7. Let the cake cool for about 15-20 minutes in the bundt pan, then remove into a serving plate. Be careful with the cake as it is very delicate.
1. Take your room temperature cream cheese and mix with a spatula till there are no lumps, then add the sugar and mix well. (You may add a little milk if the glaze is too stiff)
2. Glaze the cake once it is cooled to room temperature. Serve as it is or top it with crushed nuts.
1. Make sure you generously grease your bundt pan and flour it properly for easy removal.
2. If you use a dark coloured pan then cover the bottom of the pan with Aluminium foil, otherwise it can burn the bottom of your cake.
The cake should last a good few days if stored in an air tight container, you can refrigerate it if you want to keep it longer.
What are you waiting for? Buy your Sprig Montane Ginger Marmalade today and make this cake! Also when you buy the Ginger Marmalade you can use the coupon ‘BAKESALOTLADY’ and avail a 15% discount at checkout! HURRY UP! Only the first 10 people can avail this offer. Go get yours!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagramand Facebook to stay updated on our delicious food journey, and if you make this recipe then do post a picture and use the hashtag #bakesalotlady on Instagram! If you have any queries and/or feedback you can also go to the contact section of this website and get in touch