Peach-plum jam crumb cake.
One of the things I love to do is make Jam. I mean it’s so much fun and oh so delicious! The best part about home-made jam is that you control the sugars and the other stuff that goes in it and I think that home-made jam tastes better than store bought any day. I know I know this is a cake recipe but I used my own home-made jam in it and hence all the Jam talk.
Anyway, when it comes to this cake it is simple and quick to put together. I made the batter and crumb topping both in the food processor start to finish. It doesn’t get any easier. I think the best part of this cake is that the sweet base and slightly tart jam and the crumbly topping, all of them complement each other so well that there’s something for everyone. Also you are free to use any jam you like, you need not stick to the one in the recipe. You can also maybe throw in some fresh fruit, the world is your oyster my friend and you can use whatever your heart desires.
Do tell me if you want to know the recipe for the jam. Now you can find it here
Let’s make the cake!
For the crumb topping:
60g plain flour
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
45g cold butter cubed
For the cake:
50g very soft butter
100ml condensed milk
40g brown sugar
35g ground almonds
120g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp Vanilla extract
200g jam of choice to spread on the batter (I used my homemade low sugar peach and plum jam in this recipe)
- Preheat your oven to 170°C and butter and line a 9×9 or 8×10 baking dish. Keep aside.
- If you have a food processor then add all the dry ingredients for the crumb topping and pulse once or twice, then add the cold butter and pulse till a sand like consistency is reached. Transfer this mixture into a bowl and put it in the refrigerator. (If you do not have a food processor you can absolutely do this by hand, just make sure you ground your pecans and rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your hands)
- Add your butter, oil and sugar into the same food processor and blitz till blended. Now add your condensed milk and blend. Finally add the almonds, sifted flour+baking soda+baking powder+salt, vanilla and yoghurt and blend until just combined. Do not over mix your batter.
- Transfer the prepared batter into the greased and lined baking tray, using a spoon or an offset spatula spread the batter evenly into the pan and spoon in your jam evenly all over the cake batter. Now take your crumb topping and pinch it in your hands and sprinkle all of it evenly on top of the jam layer.
- Bake at 170°C for 28-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool almost completely before you cut and devour a slice otherwise the cake will fall apart. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee. This cake stays fresh for a day or two at room temperature. You can refrigerate it to keep it longer.
Let me know if you want a recipe for the jam I used. Make this cake and share it with your family and friends. Also, I’m genuinely grateful for the time you take to read my posts and try my recipes, it means a lot to me. Thank you.
If you like my photography and wonder where I get my inspiration from, you should definitely follow me on Pinterest, I have many inspiration boards there. To see more of my photography work you should check out my Instagram and Facebook. I post everyday on my Instagram so you won’t miss a thing. And one last thing, if you are a resident of Ahmedabad and you want to devour any of my baked goods you can contact me here and we can talk ahead.
I hope you guys try this recipe and have lots of fun with it. Until next time!