I love fruits and vegetables. If my mom hears this she’ll be over the moon hahaha! But yes, as a kid I used to hate them but now as I experiment so much in the kitchen, I have fallen in love with fruits and vegetables. Fresh seasonal produce is my absolute favourite, although here in Ahmedabad the varieties and options available are extremely minimal compared to most places in India I like to make use of whatever I can find. Apples are always available in abundance, but yes the season of fall brings oodles of different kinds of apples. I found a bundle of honey crisp apples (I think they were honey crisps) so I decided to make the classic Apple Cinnamon galette with a few twists of my own of course. I think the best part of the galette is the filling, I used almonds and oats and honey to blend it all up and make this really flavourful paste, it compliments the apples really well.
Also another tip to keep the apples from browning is to soak them in a cup of water with the juice of two lemons. It keeps them as they are and also they make the apples slightly tart which I absolutely love! So without further ado, let’s get baking.
1 Pie crust recipe here. (Double the recipe just so that you don’t have to skimp on the size.) OR Store bought puff pastry
First filling- 40g almonds, 40g oats, 2 tbsp honey/sweetener of choice
Second filling- 3 medium-large apples of choice (I used honey crisp)
1/2 cup water + 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup raw sugar/brown sugar/regular sugar (add more if you want it sweeter)
1 egg for egg-washing the pastry (substitute with milk or cream of choice if you don’t eat eggs)
6-7 small chunks of butter to put on top of the apples before baking
- Make the pie crust according to this recipe, double the recipe just to ensure you have enough dough. Or else use one package of store bought puff pastry.
- Prepare your apples by cutting them into thin slices and add them to a bowl filled with the water and lemon juice so that the apples don’t brown.
- Then add the cinnamon and ginger. Cover and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, add all the dry ingredients for the first filling into a small grinder or food processor and blend for about 2 minutes, then add the honey and blend till you get an almost crumbly paste.
- Assembling: Put a large sheet of parchment paper on your work surface and then roll out your crust to an approximately 10-11 inch round, keep it thick enough to fold up, approx 1/4-1/2 cm thick. Take a blunt knife and draw a rough 8 inch circle on the crust, don’t cut all the way, it’s just a guideline for arranging the filling. Spread the first filling evenly. Now spread the apples arranging them as best as you can, within the 8 inch mark. Then fold up the dough it need not be perfect.
- Beat an egg with some milk or water, or just use milk/cream and brush the circumference of the pastry.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top of the apples, some on the crust.
- Transfer the galette onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 175°C for around 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Tastes best the day it’s made.
If you like my photography and wonder where I get my inspiration from you should definitely follow me on Pinterest, I have many inspiration boards there. To see more of my photography work you should check out my Instagram and Facebook. I post everyday on my Instagram so you won’t miss a thing. And one last thing, if you are a resident of Ahmedabad and you want to devour any of my baked goods you can contact me here and we can talk ahead.
I hope you guys try this recipe and have lots of fun with it. Until next time!