Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Yes you read the title right. These are Pumpkin spice flavoured Cinnamon Rolls! Ah, sounds like a hug. So to be honest, India has no such season as Fall. We have varying phases of summer and a very light winter, at least the most part of India. I hate winters though, if the temperature is anywhere less than 30°C I cannot tolerate it. It makes me highly unproductive, I don’t know why.
Anyway, coming back to these cinnamon rolls, they are everything you want a cinnamon roll to be like, soft, fluffy, has got the beautiful hint of pumpkin and of course, the cinnamon flavour! The method is pretty similar to making a regular cinnamon roll so it’s not that tough to follow. I however have used all AP flour instead of whole wheat flour because it helps the dough be a little stronger which makes it easier to work with. Also I have put options in the recipe to make it dairy free. Let’s get baking!
250g all purpose flour
60ml pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp salt
100 ml milk of choice
1 3/4tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
40 ml honey
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tbsp melted butter or mild flavoured oil
Filling- Pumpkin Butter filling recipe: adapted from here
1 apple peeled and grated
40 ml pumpkin puree
14g butter/oil if dairy free
120 g sugar (preferably brown sugar)
1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough (add the milk slowly according to the consistency of your dough) and knead it by hand or using a stand mixer till it becomes a workable dough and doesn’t stick very much to the surface. Add more flour (little by little) if your dough seems very wet.
- Once the dough is kneaded, transfer it to a fairly large bowl brushed with oil and cover it with a clean moist tea towel or cling wrap and keep it aside to rise for about 2 hours. For detailed explanation check the recipe instructions here.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the filling: Add all the ingredients for the filling in a medium saucepan and cook on low-medium heat stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Once it thickens, keep aside to cool completely and put it in the fridge till use. (You can use this as a jam if not for these rolls.)
- Assembling: Put a large sheet of parchment paper on your work surface and roll out your dough into a fairly large rectangle I rolled it out roughly into a 12 by 10 inch rectangle. Spread the cool filling evenly and roll it into a log. Now if your dough is very delicate and soft to work with, with the help of the parchment paper lift it up and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Then remove and cut into desired size rolls, arrange them on your baking dish, I used an 8 inch round cake tin. Cover them loosely with a tea towel or plastic wrap and let it rise for another 45 minutes.
- Around 15-20 minutes before baking preheat your oven to 175°C
- Once risen, brush the tops of the pumpkin cinnamon rolls with a beaten egg with some milk or water. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until they turn a beautiful golden brown.
- You can devour them as is or make a cream cheese glaze and drizzle them with it and then enjoy (recipe) They taste best the day they’re made.