Coffee walnut and caramel cake!
Every year, during Christmas time, we have our family tradition of baking our very special Christmas cake which is a family secret recipe. It is one of my favourite cakes and a keeper. But I was hoping to share a Christmas recipe with you guys, so I decided to make a different Christmas cake and now I think both this and our traditional cake will be a cult favourite in our home. I hope you guys love it as much as we do. This cake is just a fruit of my imagination and some little baking experience that I hold.
The things you’ll need:
175g soft unsalted butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
135g brown sugar
230 g all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
60 ml caramel (burnt sugar + water)
3 tbsp strong coffee + more milk if your batter is dry
100 g chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 175°C and prepare three 6 inch round cake pans by buttering and lining them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and mix very well. (You can do it by hand or with a mixer) Add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla and coffee. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift all your dry ingredients. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mix gently, then add the room temperature caramel and mix it well. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and walnuts and mix gently till you no longer see the dry ingredients.
- Transfer into the prepared pans and bake at 175 for around 30 minutes. Kindly check after 25. Once a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan for a good 20 minutes, then unmould them and let them cool completely.
- You can sandwich and cover the cake with your favourite frostings. I added salted caramel sauce in between the layers and then covered the cake with a thin layer of Chocolate buttercream. Then topped it with my favourite cream cheese frosting. Once you frost the cake, leave it in the fridge for around 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Keeps well for 2 days when refrigerated.
Wishing you a blessed holiday season. I hope you are doing well.