Christmas time is my favourite time of the year! So much yummy food and so much love, it just warms my heart. I have been sort of obsessed with vegan baking because of Lauren Toyota and her incredible recipes. Although we cannot find key ingredients like vegan butter and almond milk here where I live, I keep experimenting with ingredients that are available here. Hence this glorious cookie! Pretty basic and downright delicious!!
140 g all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
A pinch of salt
80 g dark brown sugar
40 ml coconut oil or vegan butter
40 ml molasses
2 tbsp non dairy milk (+more if needed)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Enough all-purpose flour (for rolling the dough)
- Sift all the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix all the wet ingredients in another.
- Slowly add the wet to dry and mix with a wooden spoon or your hand till you can form a dough. Don’t knead too much.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll out.
- Preheat your oven to 170°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour a clean surface and roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and arrange them on the cookie sheet. It helps if you work fast.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-15 minutes. The baking time varies according to the size of your cookies. A good indication that the cookies are done will be the edges will be firm to touch. Test one or two cookies in the beginning to set your baking time.
- You can roll the dough sraps to make more cookies. You can also refrigerate the dough for a few days of freeze it for longer and bake the cookies as and when you need.
- The cookies are perfect as they are, I used some icing to make them look festive.
I hope you give these a try! Hope you guys are doing well😊