You’ll fall in love with this Rainbow cake, it’s love at first sight! Looks like a Unicorn’s dream and tastes amazing too!
Transform your simple vanilla sponge cake into this stunning rainbow cake!
- 500 g all purpose flour
- 525 g softened unsalted butter
- 500 g castor sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp good quality vanilla extract
- A good pinch of salt
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 90 ml milk
- Good quality food colouring Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red
- Grease and line six 7-inch cake pans, make sure you have 6 medium bowls ready to go for dividing and mixing the batter. Preheat your oven to 170° C.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer sift all your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt), gently mix to combine. Now add the butter in small chunks and mix on medium speed for around 45 seconds til the mixture resembles wet sand. You can either use a hand mixer or a standing mixer.
- Crack your eggs in a different bowl, add the milk and vanilla. Whisk well till smooth.
- Add half of the liquid to the flour and butter mixture. Start mixing on low and increase the speed to medium high – mix for 1 minute (Kindly time this as it is important to build the structure of the cake.) Now add the remaining liquid in two parts, mixing for 20 seconds each. Stop mixing as soon as the last 20 seconds are up or the cakes will end up tough/rubbery.
- Now, if you have a weighing scale then measure the entire amount of batter in a large bowl and divide it by 6 and portion the batter evenly into the six bowls. If you do not have a scale, try and divide the batter between the bowls using an ice cream scoop or just eyeball it.
- Add the individual colours to the bowls, I used Ameri-colour brand. And very gently mix the batter till the colour is incorporated, be very gentle.
- Once all the colours are mixed, pour the batter into the prepared cake tins and bake them for 20-25 minutes, check after 20.
- Let the cakes cool down completely before taking them out of the pan. Then level them using a sharp long knife, if the circumference of the cake is an odd burnt colour, just slightly brush that edge of the cake and the small burnt crumbs would fall down, do this very gently.
- Once all your layers are prepped, you can fill and frost the cake with your favourite frosting. I used dark chocolate ganache.
- The frosted cake is best consumed within two days, when refrigerated.
If you like my photography please follow me onPinterest, InstagramFacebookInstagramone last thing, if you are a resident of Ahmedabad and you want to devour any of my baked goods you can contact me here and we can talk ahead.
I hope you guys try this recipe and have lots of fun with it. Until next time!