You’ll fall in love with this Rainbow cake, it’s love at first sight! Looks like a Unicorn’s dream and tastes amazing too!
Transform your simple vanilla sponge cake into this stunning rainbow cake!
Author: Anjali Johny
500 g all purpose flour
500 g softened unsalted butter
450 g castor sugar
1 1/2 tbsp good quality vanilla extract
A good pinch of salt
5 tsp baking powder
80 ml milk
Good quality food colouring (Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red)
- Grease and line six 7-inch cake pans, make sure you have 6 medium bowls ready to go for dividing and mixing the batter. Preheat your oven to 170° C.
- In a large bowl add your butter and sugar and whisk together until light and fluffy. Either use a hand mixer or a standing mixer.
- Crack your eggs in a different bowl and add them two at a time mixing really well between additions. Once you add all the eggs, add the vanilla and mix.
- Sift in half of your flour salt and baking powder, using a spatula fold the ingredients and halfway through the folding, add the milk, then mix slightly and add the remaining dry ingredients. Do not over mix, only mix till you do not see any dry ingredients.
- Now, if you have a weighing scale then measure the entire amount of batter in a large bowl and divide it by 6 and portion the batter evenly into the six bowls. If you do not have a scale, try and divide the batter between the bowls using an ice cream scoop or just eyeball it.
- Add the individual colours to the bowls, I used Ameri-colour brand. And very gently mix the batter till the colour is incorporated, be very gentle.
- Once all the colours are mixed, pour the batter into the prepared cake tins and bake them for 20-25 minutes, check after 20.
- Let the cakes cool down completely before taking them out of the pan. Then level them using a sharp long knife, if the circumference of the cake is an odd burnt colour, just slightly brush that edge of the cake and the small burnt crumbs would fall down, do this very gently.
- Once all your layers are prepped, you can fill and frost the cake with your favourite frosting. I used dark chocolate ganache.
- This cake lasts in the fridge for up to two days.