Lemon Cake with Raspberry filling and Blueberries.
So, it’s been a while since I have baked. I’ve been going through a rough patch for a while now, so it has affected basically all aspects of my life. Initially, I tried to keep going with baking and all other things but then I realized that I am not going to do anything half-heartedly. So after a break, I’m back and this time I will take things slow and try to pour my heart out to you guys. You have stuck with me and I cannot thank you enough.
Speaking of this cake, I have always loved a nice tangy lemony cake and this cake is exactly that. It’s very simple to make and you can always use your favourite berries instead of the ones I’ve used or you could simply use some lemon curd for the filling. The world is your oyster, my friend. Also, this cake is not exactly like a sponge cake, it’s dense, but it isn’t hard, it has an interesting texture.
Here’s what you will need:
For the cake:
230 g unsalted butter
170 g castor sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 medium eggs
40 ml Greek yoghurt
80 ml lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
250 g all purpose flour
a good pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
For the frosting:
100 g unsalted butter at room temperature
200 g cream cheese
450 g icing sugar sifted
a pinch of salt
for filling and garnish: Raspberries and Blueberries
- Grease and line three 6 inch round cake pans and preheat your oven to 160 C.
- In a large bowl add your room temperature butter and sugar and beat it well using a whisk or a hand/stand mixer. Now add the eggs one by one, mixing after each addition. Then add the vanilla, mix well.
- Now add the yoghurt, mix well.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients, mix a little, then add the lemon juice and zest, mix well, then add the remaining dry ingredients and fold it in with a spatula.
- do not overmix. Now divide the batter evenly into the three baking pans and bake the cakes for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Frosting: Add the butter, cold cream cheese, sifted icing sugar and salt and blend the ingredients well. mix until it is light and fluffy.
- Assembling: Sandwich the layers with the frosting and the berries. Chill the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
I hope you try this recipe. It is really easy and delicious.
Until next time!