Summer is my favourite season hands down! And other than mangoes I think any form of citrus makes me think of a bright sunny day at the beach! This loaf will take you just there, I promise.
I used lemon here but you are free to use any citrus fruit of your choice, I’m sure all of them will taste just as good. I always struggled with making a loaf that was tangy enough to my liking, if you’re someone who likes a nice tangy tart loaf cake, you’ve come to the right place, my friend. Let’s get baking.
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 g Castor Sugar
- 60 ml lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 250 g unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the drizzle:
- 150 g sifted Icing Sugar
- 2,3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice according to desired consistency
- Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan, keep aside. Preheat your oven to 170 C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) into a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer or a whisk, beat the butter, lemon zest and sugar together until light and fluffy, add the eggs one by one beating after each addition. Then add the vanilla.
- Add half of the dry ingredients, whisk well. Now add the lemon juice. Mix well. Add the remaining dry ingredients and fold it in using a spatula. Do not over mix.
- Add up to 2 tbsp of milk if the batter seems too thick.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for around 50-55 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean, keep checking after 48 minutes.
- Once baked, let the cake cool in the loaf pan for at 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the drizzle by mixing the icing sugar and lemon juice till you reach your preferred consistency. Once the cake is warm to touch, remove from the pan onto a cooling rack and pour the drizzle all over the cake. Let the cake cool to room temperature before serving and devouring! This cake stays fresh for up to 2-3 days when covered and refrigerated.
I hope you guys are doing well. I have been baking more these days and have felt really inspired, your constant support keeps me going. Thank you for being there for me.
Also QUICK NOTE: Now you can buy the products and ingredients I use by clicking on the links on the recipe ingredients list, you can also check out the products page to know what camera, oven etc I use.
Until next time!