Hello lovely people! This last week has been really an emotional roller coaster for me. It seems like as the days go by, life tries to make things harder for me when I am trying to push through the existing crisis. Things have been so crazy that I haven’t even got a chance to bake! However, my regular workout routine has made life a little bearable. I find that including just about 30 minutes of physical activity in my everyday routine really helps in keeping me from going full on crazy. What do you guys do to relieve stress and anxiety?
Coming to these blondies. Oh, these were made and devoured several times but I just forgot to share the recipe. Last month I was on a tahini obsession (still not over it) and I wanted to see how it paired with different flavours. We’re all familiar with it’s uses in savoury preparations but not so much in desserts. Needless to say, I made a lot of things and thankfully a lot of them were loved by the family. I really like the nutty-ness and earthy-ness that Tahini imbibes in every dish you add it to. This recipe calls for about ¼ cup, 40 g of it. You wont taste it strongly, it just makes the dish a tad more sophisticated if you ask me.
Key features of the recipe and tips:
• You need to ensure that all your ingredients are at room temperature and that you combine them well. I always make this recipe by hand.
• Tahini: The Tahini that you use has to be of good quality and it has to be pure Tahini and not Tahini dressing, Tahini spread etc. Just. Simple. Tahini. No added anything.
• The nuts are totally optional and so is the frosting. These blondies are delicious either way.
• Please don’t omit the malt powder in the recipe as it is quite crucial in balancing the flavours.
Malted Tahini Blondies
- 160 g Unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 small Eggs (room temperature)
- 40 g Tahini
- 100 g Caster sugar
- 100 g Dark brown sugar
- 40 g Malt powder (you could use horlicks or milo or any malt flavoured powder that is available)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 190 g All purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 cup Chopped almonds and raisins (optional)
- 100 g salted butter (room temperature)
- 40 g Nutella
- Grease and line an 8×8 inch square baking tin. Pre-heat your oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl, add your room temperature butter and sugars. Whisk until light and fluffy. (You may do this by hand or with a stand mixer)
- Add the eggs one by one whisking after each addition.
- Now add the vanilla and tahini. Keep whisking till the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into the bowl (Flour, Baking powder, Salt, Malt powder) and gently combine it. Halfway through mixing you may add the dry fruits (if using) and mix only till you no longer see any dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely inside the pan on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
- You may decorate the blondies by slathering on your favourite frosting and adding some sprinkles on top.
- Whip the butter and nutella till the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Spread on the cooled blondies.
I hope you give this recipe a go and if you do, please share a picture on your social media using #bakesalotlady and also tag me so we can all enjoy the wonderful culinary creations!