I know I promised to share this recipe on my Instagram ages ago but I needed to perfect it so it is late but, it’s here!
This is a no-fuss, one-bowl super easy muffin recipe that you can make in bulk and freeze for a tasty healthy-ish snack any time of the day. I have been using whatever I have in my pantry to make baked goods that taste great and also maybe lean towards the healthy spectrum.
A few pointers for the recipe:
- I will suggest sticking to the ratio of flours mentioned in the recipe to ensure that the muffins are not dense. You may add more of whole wheat flour and less of the processed all-purpose, but be mindful of the fact that the finished product might be a little too dense.
- You can use any oil that you like, just make sure it doesn’t have a strong flavour example: Sunflower oil, canola oil etc.) If you use something like coconut oil then it will add its flavour to the recipe so be careful.
- You can use any sugar that you like, I had coconut sugar on hand but brown sugar or even regular castor sugar will work.
- You can also add or reduce the amount of sugar by 20 grams according to the sweetness of your bananas.
- The muffins rise and dome (which is something I love about muffins) so do not worry as long as the pan is not overfilled.
- If you do not have garam masala you can add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg and 1/4 tsp ground cloves instead. But I definitely suggest you to try the garam masala.
In other news, I have been scratching my brains out to try and come up with a fool-proof recipe for the famous Iyengar bakery cake. I have been failing miserably at it. If someone wishes to send in tips/help, please do. Meanwhile, I hope you try out this recipe and enjoy it as much as we did! My favourite way to have these muffins are with a huge dollop of Nutella.
Garam Masala Banana Muffins
- 115 g ripe bananas mashed
- 80 ml yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 100 ml light olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g coconut sugar
- 50 ml honey
- 150 g All-purpose flour
- 50 g Whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp heaped Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with liners.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas into a fine puree with a fork. Add the oil, yoghurt, coconut sugar and honey, vanilla and eggs and mix until well combined.
- Now sift in your dry ingredients (flours, leaveners, salt and garam masala). Gently fold it into the wet batter, do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin up to 3/4th of the way up. Bake for approximately 22 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool down in the pan for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan and letting them cool completely.