The weather has been brutal where I live. I have been trying to find ways to cool myself down. Growing up, I used to eat this candy or popsicle as you may call it, it was a simple vanilla ice-cream covered with a snappy chocolate shell, we call it Chocobar here. The lockdown seems to stretch to eternity, the lack of ice-cream has started to show and, so here I am with an amazing recipe that will become your favourite summer treat!
Notes on the recipe:
- Cream: You need not use heavy cream, this recipe works with low-fat cream too.
- Condensed milk: I like the way the condensed milk affects the texture and flavour of the ice-cream. However, if you do not have access to it at the moment you can use any sweetener of choice – honey, light corn syrup or plain caster sugar.
- Coffee: You can you the coffee you like best, I always use Nescafe.
- Coconut oil: I like the flavour of coconut oil the most, plus it tends to solidify easily. However, if you don’t have it you can use any oil that has a very mild flavour. Please do not use a strongly flavoured oil, all your waiting will go to waste. I recommend sunflower oil or an extra light olive oil.
Coffee Popsicle with a Chocolate Shell (Coffee bars)
Easy and delicious coffee flavoured ice-cream covered in a snappy, decadent magical chocolate shell. The best treat for hot summers.
Servings 5 popsicles
- 350 ml fresh cream 20-25% fat
- 60 ml condensed milk – add more sweetener according to taste
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 180 g 80% Dark Chocolate – feel free to use your favourite chocolate
- 1.5 tbsp Coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients for the coffee filling and bring it to a boil on low-medium heat while stirring constantly (make sure there are no lumps of cornflour). Strain the mixture if you are not sure of lumps.
- Pour it evenly into popsicle moulds prop the sticks and put them in the freezer for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Once your popsicles are frozen solid. Melt your chocolate in the microwave (careful not to burn it) add the coconut oil and mix until smooth. Dip, Pour, DRENCH, SHOWER your popsicles and leave the shell to harden. ENJOY
Leave a Reply