As a literature graduate, I have way more doubts about my writing abilities than I should. Every time I start writing a blog post my mind decides to play games; it’s so annoying I tell you.
Anyway, I have been familiar with the term ‘reverse creaming’ for a while but I never really tried using it in my baking, till I worked up this recipe. This method is life-changing, my friends. It involves mixing the dry ingredients with the butter first and then pouring the wet ingredients into this crumbly, sand-like mixture and mixing it for quite some time to give the cake its structure. The crumb that we get using this method is amayyyzing, I don’t think I am going back.
- Don’t worry about filling the cupcake moulds 3/4th of the way up, they help in making that domed top.
- The high temperature also plays a crucial role in that, so do not worry about cranking up the heat!
- If you don’t have buttermilk just mix 75 ml milk with 5 ml of lemon juice/vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins (Eggless recipe)
- 113 g salted butter softened to room temperature and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 100 g caster sugar
- 220 g ripe bananas mashed
- 80 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 150 g chocolate chips/chopped chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 190C. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
- Sift all your dry ingredients (flour, leaveners, sugar) into a large bowl, add the butter and mix it on medium speed till the mixture resembles sand.
- Add all your wet ingredients (buttermilk, bananas, vanilla, vinegar) blend them to a smooth mixture.
- Once the liquid is ready, pour half of it to the dry mixture and let the mixture run for 1 minute on medium speed. Once that is done, pour the remaining liquid in two parts, mixing after each addition.
- Add the chocolate chips and gently fold them in.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin filling 3/4th way up. Bake for approximately 16-18 minutes or until the top of the muffin springs back up slightly when gently pressed.
- Let the muffins cool on a wire rack, enjoy!