Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart
Servings 1 8 inch tart
- 270 g All purpose flour
- 150 g Salted butter (cold and cubed)
- 50 g Powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Cold water
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 200 g Granulated sugar
- 220 ml Heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch salt (adjust to taste)
Salted Caramel Layer:
- 100 ml salted caramel sauce
- 150 g melted salted butter
- 350 g Chopped 55% dark chocolate
- 350 ml Heavy cream
Make the salted caramel
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, add the sugar and pace it on low-medium heat, do not stir and let the sugar melt, swirl the pan if necessary.
- While the sugar is melting, take the heavy cream and add the vanilla extract into it, mix well and set aside.
- Keep an eye on your sugar and swirl it every once in a while so that it melts evenly.
- After 8-10 minutes you will notice the sugar changing colour, once it gets a almost as dark as regular organic honey, take it off the heat.
- Immediately, VERY CAREFULLY start pouring the cream and vanilla mixture very gently in a steady stream and keep stirring the sugar continuously. BE VERY CAREFUL as the mixture will bubble up and might splatter. Use only wooden or a silicone spoon for this.
- If you notice a few solidified chunks of sugar, place the saucepan back on a low heat and keep stirring till your sauce is smooth.
- Now add the salt and let the sauce cool completely before using.
- Add all the ingredients for the tart shell except the water in a medium bowl and start rubbing the butter into the flour. Make sure your butter is super cold. Once the mixture resembles wet sand, add the water one tablespoon at a time and start combining the dough into one mass. Use as less water as possible. Roll this into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for around 20 minutes.
- Now, take an 8 inch, loose bottom tart pan and place it on a baking sheet. Take the pastry dough out of the fridge and gently roll it out on a clean and floured surface to a roughly 10 inch circle. Now transfer this to your tart pan and press it in, gently. Score the bottom of the pan with a fork.
- Place this tart pan in the freezer while you preheat your oven to 180C for 10 minutes
- Bake the tart shell for roughly 28 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Once baked, let it cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the melted butter with the caramel sauce using a whisk to make the mixture even and pour this on the cooled tart shell, pop any bubbles that have formed and place this in the fridge for one hour.
- While your caramel layer rests in the fridge, in a microwave safe bowl add your chopped chocolate and melt it in 30 second increments, stirring after each round.
- Make sure that no moisture goes into your chocolate or else it will seize.
- Once the chocolate is melted, slowly pour in your cream stirring continuously so that the chocolate and cream combine evenly. Once all the cream is poured, keep this ganache aside as the caramel layer sets.
- Once an hour is passed, take the tart shell out of the fridge and spoon dollops of the ganache all around the tart and using the back of a spoon, spread this out to an even layer.
- Let this set in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. Preferably 8 or overnight.
Top & Serve:
- You can choose to add chopped nuts, berries, whipped cream or leave the tart as is. Cut with a clean knife and make sure the tart is cold when you cut and serve.