Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with Salted Caramel and Malt
The perfect crispy edges that become chewy and fudgy towards the centre and have oodles of chocolate puddles. Heaven I tell you.
Servings 16 bars
- 400 g salted butter to make brown butter
- 250 g dark brown sugar
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2-3 tbsp whole milk
- 40 g malt powder (I used horlicks classic malt)
- 400 + 50 g all purpose flour (add the 50 g extra flour little by little in case the dough seems too moist)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (Add more if you like)
- 1/2 cup chopped milk chocolate (35% cocoa) (according to preference)
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (55%) (according to preference)
- 40 ml salted caramel sauce (for swirling on top)
Make the brown butter:
- Method 1 – In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the butter on a medium flame stirring occasionally for 5-8 mintes till the butter changes in colour and smells nutty. Set aside to cool.
- Method 2 – Add the butter into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on full power for about 5-6 minutes, stop to stir once in the middle. Set aside to cool.
Bake the bars
- Preheat your oven to 175C, line a 9×13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Once the butter is cooled down to room temperature, pour it into a large bowl, add sugars and blend well.
- Add the eggs one by one, whisking really well after each addition. Whisk until the mixture lightens in colour and is fluffy, followed by the vanilla. (You can do this by hand or use an electric whisk)
- Now add the sifted flour, malt powder and baking soda. Gently fold it in. Once the flour is almost mixed, add the chocolate and finish mixing till you see no more dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time if your dough is too thick. It should not be runny but it should also not be exactly like cookie dough. Somewhere in the middle.
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and dump the cookie dough mixture into the pan and spread into an even layer.
- Drizzle the salted caramel sauce on the cookie bars before baking.
- Bake at 175C for roughly 35 minutes or until the edges are set and start leaving the edges of the pan. (The longer you bake, the crispier/drier the cookie bars will be.)
- Let the cookie bars cool down completely before slicing and serving.