Working on eggless recipes is quite a challenge for someone like me who is so used to enjoying baked goods that have the richness of eggs. This cake has been in the works for a while and I am finally able to share this recipe with you. This cake is not super fluffy and light. It is a pound cake and so the texture is richer and more dense. It is however, extremely delicious and I cannot wait for you guys to try it out.
Please follow the recipe as is and make sure you do not overmix your batter and bake your cake at the right temperature.
Eggless Lemon Pound Cake
For the Cake:
- 220 g all-purpose flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 1 1/4 tbsp baking powder I use an aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 30 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 200 g caster sugar
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 210 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp blackberry puree seived
- 180 g sifted icing sugar
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 175C. Grease and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt. Now add the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, caster sugar, oil, vanilla and milk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into the bowl and whisk until just combined.
- Pour this batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 175C for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely inside the pan on a wire rack.
For the Glaze:
- Take the sifted icing sugar in a bowl and add one tbsp of lemon juice and one tbsp of sieved blackberry puree. Mix well and if the glaze is too thick then add the remaining blackberry puree. Adjust the consistency to your preference by adding more liquid (milk or lemon juice) little at a time.
- Once the cake is cooled to room temperature, pour this prepared glaze. Slice and serve!