Eggless recipes are always loved by my readers, especially when they involve chocolate. This cake is very easy to make and exceptionally moist (it melts in your mouth). Pair it with a rich chocolate ganache and add some fresh raspberries for garnish the flavours match so beautifully that you will want to keep eating it.
1. What are the ingredients for this cake?
You need only 10 ingredients:
- Cocoa powder
- Instant coffee
- Baking soda
2. Can I make this cake in a round cake pan? Can I make this cake into cupcakes?
Yes you can bake this cake in two 5-inch round cake pans to make a two layer small cake or you can bake it in one 6-inch pan.
This recipe should also give you 7-8 decent sized chocolate cupcakes.
3. If I bake it in two 5-inch round pans or as cupcakes, how do I adjust the timing?
If you are baking it in two 5-inch round pans then the cakes might take approx. 25 minutes, keep checking after 23 minutes depending on your oven.
If you are making them as cupcakes it should take around 12-14 minutes.
4. Can I use whipped cream or buttercream to frost this cake?
Yes, feel free to pair a frosting of your choice to decorate this cake.
5. Why is your cake shaped like a loaf/rectangular?
I had a look in mind when I was thinking of making this cake which is why I baked it in a sheet pan and cut it accordingly. You are free to bake it in a pan of your choice as mentioned question 2.
Eggless Chocolate Cake
- 125 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 150 ml milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 60 ml neutral flavoured oil (I used sunflower)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 180 g 55% dark chocolate chopped
- 120 ml Heavy cream
- a pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 170C
- Grease and line a 8×10 inch baking sheet and set it aside.
- In a bowl, add the milk and instant coffee, mix until the coffee dissolves (it helps if you use warm milk). Now add the oil, vanilla and vinegar, whisk really well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the sugar, stir to combine.
- Now make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the liquids that we mixed earlier into it.
- Mix gently, it is preferred if you just fold the ingredients with a spatula just until it is combined. Do not overmix your batter.
- Pour this batter into your prepared baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes. The baking time varies depending on the heat of your oven. You will know the cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cook completely on a wire rack before assembling. You can also chill the cake to make it easier to work with.
- Heat the cream in a microwave or in a heavy bottom saucepan till it reaches a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chopped chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add some salt and stir until the ganache becomes shiny and smooth.
Assembling the cake
- I wanted to go for the look that you see in the pictures so I cut the cake into 4 pieces. 5 inches by 4 inches each.
- I started by placing one layer at the bottom and adding around 4 tbsp of ganache and spreading it evenly continuing with alternate layers of cake and ganache. In the end I spread the remaining amount of ganache on top of the cake.
- I garnished the cake with fresh raspberries.
- Chill the cake for 30 minutes before serving.