If you don’t like Cinnamon Rolls, we can’t be friends. I mean seriously, can you even resist the smell of freshly baked Cinnamon Rolls? I know I can’t, infact no one in our home can! It’s like the best kind of smell after may be the smell of freshly baked Brownies. No wait. I guess.. I love both of them equally!! I always love my Cinnamon rolls with a generous amount of cream cheese frosting. It is the best thing EVER!
It’s a labour of love, but it is so worth it and I know you won’t regret trying these.
What is wheat gluten?
Wheat gluten essentially acts like a binder, holding food together and adding a “stretchy” quality to the cinnamon. It is crucial to achieve the best texture for any bread based dish. Regular maida does not have enough gluten to give a perfect stretchy quality.
However, you CAN USE regular maida. The texture of the cinnamon rolls will just not be “as stretchy.” Earlier as a beginner baker when I had no idea about wheat gluten, I used to use only maida and the taste was just as good.
You can buy it on Amazon: click here
Eggless Cinnamon Rolls
- 280 gram bread flour (Or mix 260 g maida + 20 g wheat gluten)
- 5 gram Active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Castor Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 180 millilitre milk (Lukewarm)
- 30 gram unsalted butter (soft and spreadable)
- 30 millilitre sweetened condensed milk
- a few tablespoons water if dough is too dry
- 50 gram unsalted butter (soft and spreadable)
- 120 gram brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cream cheese glaze
- 100 gram cream cheese (soft and spreadable)
- 40 gram granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, add about half of the lukewarm milk, sugar and yeast and just mix it with a spoon and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Once you see bubbles on top of the mixture or if it’s foamy, it means your yeast is active.
- Sift the flour along with the vital wheat gluten (if using) and salt into this bowl. Add the milk little by little and keep kneading.
- Once the milk is combined/absorbed add the condensed milk and butter and continue to knead the dough. You will see that the dough might be a little greasy but that is okay, it will become smoother as you knead.
- After kneading for about 8-10 minutes, the dough will be smooth, and it will spring back almost when you poke it gently with a finger. You can also use a standing mixer to knead the dough if you do not want to knead it by hand.
- Apply a little oil to a clean bowl and transfer this dough into it, add a little oil to the surface of the dough so that it doesn’t form a skin.
- Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and keep it in a warm, dust free surface of your house to rise for about 1-2 hours OR till it is doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, before rolling it out make sure your butter is in a spreadable consistency and prepare the filling. (recipe below)
- Dust a little flour on your work surface and gently roll out your risen dough to a rectangle about 12 inches in length and about 8 inches in breadth. Even if you don't want to measure the size it is fine, just keep the thickness of the dough around 3-4 centimeters max.
- Once you finish rolling out to the required size, gently spread the filling on the dough leaving about 1cm gap on the edges.
- Gently start rolling your dough into a log. Take your time, do not rush. Once you finish rolling, pinch the outer end to seal it.
- Cut into desired sized rolls. And place them on a baking pan leaving a little space between them, then cover it with a clean towel and once again leave it in a warm – dry place for about 30-45 mins or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C and when your cinnamon rolls are puffed up, with a pastry brush, brush the top of the rolls with a little milk. Bake your Cinnamon Rolls for about 30 minutes or until they are beautifully golden brown.
- When your Cinnamon rolls are out of the oven, quickly blend the cream cheese and sugar using a whisk, and pour over the rolls while it is still warm. ENJOY!!!
- In a small bowl add the soft cream cheese, sugar and cinnamon. Using a whisk, whisk until it blends together and becomes a smooth spreadable paste.