This is the most amazing cake you will make. I am obsessed with Korean food and K-dramas and Korean music. It’s been a while since I started obsessing and I never really told you about it. This cake is quite common in a lot of Asian bakeries especially across Korea and Japan. I have made this Eggless Korean style Strawberry Shortcake that you can make for your next brunch or even birthday party.
What is the strawberry milk you used for this cake?
I have used both home made and store bought strawberry milk for this cake. If you want to make it at home you just need a handful of strawberries, a cup of milk and sugar according to taste. Just blend it till smooth as use it to soak your cake. It enhances the strawberry flavour and I believe it works better than using a sugar syrup.
What pan have you used for this cake?
I used a deep 6 inch round cake pan. It is almost 10 centimeters deep.
How is this Korean?
I have seen a lot of Korean YouTubers eat/speak about this cake. I believe this cake is famous in Japan as well.
What type of cream did you use for this cake?
I used 35% milk fat whipping cream for this cake. You can also use non-dairy whipping cream although I prefer the taste of the former.
Eggless Korean Style Strawberry Short-cake
- 180 gram All purpose flour
- 75 gram granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 90 millilitre sweetened condensed milk
- 60 gram unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 60 millilitre yoghurt
- 120 millilitre milk
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 200 g strawberries fresh
- Grease and line a tall 6-inch round cake tin. Preheat your oven to 170 C.
- In a bowl add all the wet ingredients excluding the milk and whisk for 1 minute.
- Now sift all the dry ingredients into this bowl. Mix it gently and make a small well in the bowl.
- Pour the milk into the well and keep mixing gently till the batter is smooth. Do not over mix or else the cake will be hard once baked.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for around 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting and decorating.
How to decorate:
- I cut my cake into three layers and soaked them in strawberry milk (you can use home-made or store bought).
- I placed one layer of cake at the bottom, added whipped cream, smoothened it, placed cut strawberries and continued the same process with the cake layers one on top of the other.