I promise you, these are THE ABSOLUTE BEST chocolate chip muffins everrr! They are filled with chocolate, they are super fluffy, they are soft like a cloud, they have the classic domed top and and and, they have streusel! You have to try it and I promise you, you will fall in love.
Which muffin pan have you used?
I have used a standard US sized muffin pan. All products will be mentioned below.
I have a normal locally (India based) available muffin pan. How many muffins will this recipe make then?
In a regular muffin pan you can get up to 12 muffins. Please check the baking time if you bake in a regular pan, the muffins might require few minutes less.
Why different temperatures to make these muffins?
The initial heat at 200°C makes the muffins rise up and gives them the domed top. After the first five minutes you reduce the temperature to 175°C to finish baking.
Also, please make sure you use an oven thermometer to ensure perfect bakes every time.
What is streusel topping?
Streusel topping is very common in muffins and coffee cakes. It is sweet, slightly crunchy and has a hint of cinnamon and pairs really well with muffins.
Here is the recipe:
Streusel topping: (optional but highly recommended)
2 1/2 tablespoon melted butter
25 gram (1/8 cup) brown sugar
1 tablespoon caster sugar or superfine sugar
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl till it resembles wet coarse sand. Set aside till needed..
Can I not use the streusel topping?
You can leave it out if you don’t want it. But I highly recommend trying it out if you can. It is amazing.
Can you tell us which ingredients you use or recommend?
Yes please find them below
Can you give us an eggless version of this recipe?
60 gram (1/2 cup) Whole wheat flour
60 gram (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
100 gram (1/2 cup) superfine white sugar or caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
60 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
70 gram (1/3 cup) milk
60 gram (1/4 cup) yoghurt or dahi
Steps are same as recipe below. If you are following the eggless recipe, please follow the quantities mentioned above. It will give you 5-6 large muffins.
Best Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 large egg
- 80 g melted unsalted butter heaped 1/3 cup
- 100 ml milk 1/2 cup
- 60 ml yoghurt 1/4 cup
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 75 g whole wheat flour 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
- 75 g all-purpose flour 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 100 g sugar 1/2 cup
- 100 g dark chocolate chips 1/2 cup
- Line a standard sized muffin tin with cupcake liners, set aside. Preheat your oven to 200 C.
- In a medium sized bowl add all the wet ingredients: egg, melted butter, milk, yoghurt and vanilla along with the sugar. Using a whisk, mix well until combined.
- Sift the flours, baking powder & soda, salt into this bowl and then add the chocolate chips. Gently fold until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, portion out the muffin batter into the prepared pan. You can fill the batter almost all the way up, this gives the domed muffin top.
- Add around 2 tsp of streusel on top of each muffin batter portion and more chocolate chips if you like. (recipe of streusel in questions above the recipe).
- Bake at 200C for 5-6 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 175C and bake for another 13-15 minutes. The total baking time will be 18-22 minutes depending on your muffin pan and oven temperature.
- A skewer inserted into the middle of the muffin will come out clean.
- Let the muffins cool inside the pan for 20-30 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely.
- I like enjoying these muffins warm. Enjoy! (Please read the frequently asked questions above to solve any doubts).