Why do I need to beat the butter and sugar for so long?
You have to do so to incorporate enough air in the mixture otherwise the cake will not rise properly
What is mawa?
Mawa is a very commonly used ingredient in Indian households, specially to make Indian sweets. It is basically cooked milk solids.
What vinegar can I use?
You can use regular synthetic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
Baking time for cake?
Baking time varies depending on the colour of the pan you use and also your oven temperature. For my oven the cake takes anywhere between 30-35 minutes. You will need to see when the cake looks risen and lightly golden on top approx around 30 minutes, check with a skewer and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Can I also add cardamom?
Yes you can add around 1/4 tsp ground cardamom for extra flavour.
Eggless Mawa Cake (without condensed milk or yoghurt)
- 145 g all-purpose flour 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- 90 g butter (1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp)
- 120 g sugar (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp)
- 225 ml milk (1 cup)
- 98 g Mawa Home made or store bought – 1/2 cup packed
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp rose extract optional
- Grease and line an 8 or 9 inch loaf pan, preheat your oven to 175C
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (if using unsalted butter) into a bowl and set it aside.
- In a separate, medium-large bowl, take your room temperature butter and sugar. Now, using a hand held mixer, whip this for around 4-5 minutes. The butter and sugar will blend together and become very light and fluffy.
- Add the mawa to this butter mixture and blend again for 20-30 seconds.
- Now add half of the sifted dry ingredients and using a spatula, fold the flour into the butter mixture gently.
- Now pour the milk, vinegar and vanilla (also add rose extract if using at this stage) into this flour-butter mixture and continue folding gently till it is loosely combined and then add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Fold the mixture only till it is just combined and do not overmix. Please read the notes (FAQ) above the recipe to make sure your cake turns out perfectly.
- Pour the prepared batter into the loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes at 175C or till a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool down completely before slicing and serving.