Here are some frequently asked questions or doubts that you may have:
Why am I not getting that shiny top on brownies?
You need to follow the recipe exactly as mentioned. I have developed this recipe over many years and any substitutions or changes will not guarantee same results. Please go through the complete recipe word by word and use only real chocolate, not compound for this recipe. You also need to ensure that the sugar dissolves completely in the water.
Can I use normal sugar? Why should I use powdered sugar?
You may use normal, light brown or dark brown sugar. You do need to grind it into a powder because it helps in dissolving the sugar easily.
Do I have to use brown butter?
I highly recommend using it but if you do not want to use brown butter, use 75 g normal salted butter instead. You cannot use oil or ghee in this recipe.
What if I don’t want to use orange?
Then feel free to skip it. Instead of 20 ml juice, add 20 ml more water & add vanilla extract instead of orange zest.
How to know brownies are baked?
Every oven is different so after 25 minutes, keep an eye on your brownies. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out with moist crumbs then it should be fine. Let the brownie cool completely. COMPLETELY before slicing. Remember, the longer you bake, the higher the chance that the brownies will be drier.
DELICATE brownies: These brownies are comparatively more delicate than the ones with eggs.
Eggless Chocolate Orange Brownies (w/ Brown Butter)
- 200 g dark chocolate – NOT COMPOUND CHOCOLATE chopped
- 75 g brown butter made using 100 g salted butter
- 190 g brown sugar powdered
- 80 ml water warm/hot not boiling
- 20 ml orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1.5 tsp orange zest freshly grated
- 2 tbsp yoghurt unflavoured and unsweetened
- 160 g maida/all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 20 g cornflour
- Scant 1/4 tsp baking powder
Read tips above to ensure that you get the perfect brownies.
Make the brown/burnt butter:
- In a preferably large heavy bottom saucepan add the 100g salted butter and heat on medium-low flame till the butter melts and browns. You will see it bubble up but just gently swirl the pan. I like to cook it till it becomes nice & brown, it can take between 5-10 minutes.
- When your brown butter is still piping hot add the chopped chocolate to it and let it sit till you do the rest of the steps so that the chocolate melts.
- Preheat your oven to 175 C. Grease and line an 8-inch square pan.
- In a bowl, mix the water & powdered sugar till the sugar completely dissolves. Do not skip this step. Now add the orange juice to it and mix to combine.
- Your chocolate should be nice and melted by now, just give the butter-chocolate mixture a nice stir. Add yoghurt to this and mix well.
- If you have used a large enough saucepan for browning the butter, pour the sugar-water-orange juice mixture into this and stir till the it is well combined with the chocolate. The mixture will be smooth and shiny.
- Into this saucepan, sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and cornflour. Add the freshly grated orange zest. Fold until combined.
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 175C for 28-30 mins approx till the brownie is cooked through.
- Let it cool COMPLETELY before slicing.