You get it right? I’m obsessed with Bananas. And Chocolate. This cake is the best combo of the two. Let’s get to the recipe.
Banana Chocolate Cake
Servings 8 people
- 195 g burnt butter
- 460 g mashed bananas (I used plantains)
- 250 g castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 210 ml milk of choice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 340 g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp water optional
- 125 g unslated butter room temperature
- 85 g melted and cooled dark chocolate I used 75% dark
- A pinch of salt
- 150 g sifted icing sugar
Make the burnt butter:
- Add the butter in a medium sized saucepan (preferably heavy bottomed) and keep stirring it on low heat till the butter changes colour and starts smelling nutty. Leave to cool completely
- Grease and line three 7 inch round cake pans and preheat your oven to 175 C.
- Mix the vinegar with the milk and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar using a whisk until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Now add the eggs one by one beating after each addition, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Mash or blend the bananas/plaintains using a food processor or a fork (I used a food processor) and add it to the butter-egg mixture. Then add the molasses and whisk well.
- Sift all your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add half of it to the butter mixture and fold using a spatula, then add the milk+vinegar mixture, mix well and add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Mix until you see no dry flour. You can add the coffee if you want (it helps in reducing the sweetness, you won’t taste it)
- Portion out the batter across the three baking pans and bake for 35-40 minutes approximately or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before levelling and frosting.
- Make the frosting:
- Beat all the ingredients for the frosting using a hand mixer or a stand mixer until light and fuffy.
- Frost as per your liking.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Serving: 0g | Sodium: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Vitamin C: 0mg | Vitamin A: 0IU | Sugar: 0g | Fiber: 0g | Potassium: 0mg | Cholesterol: 0mg | Trans Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Fat: 0g | Protein: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Iron: 0mg