Cherries are my favourite kind of stone fruit. I always eat them as is since childhood, my mom used to get boxes of cherries and I would snack on them all the time so it’s a given that now I have to use them in baking because cherries are soooo delicious!
This cake is just something that popped into my head. I had been thinking of recipe ideas for the past week, then surprisingly I found some extremely stunning cherries and voila! This cake became a reality and it is finger-lickin’ good. It’s really easy to make and quite customizable. I’ll stop talking and get to the recipe.
Until next time!
Cherry Coconut Loaf Cake (with walnuts)
- 165 g unsalted butter
- 10 ml coconut oil
- 100 g castor sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60 g chopped walnuts you can use other nuts or even chocolate chips
- 110 g cherries measured after removing seeds
- 100 ml full fat coconut cream or coconut milk for a lighter version
- Wash and pit your cherries add them into a bowl along with the walnuts, keep aside. Preheat your oven to 160 C. Grease and line an approx 21 cm x 8.5 cm loaf pan.
- In a medium-large bowl add the butter, coconut oil and sugars. Whisk well until the mixture gets light and fluffy (you may use a stand mixer or hand mixer). Then add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition, followed by the vanilla.
- Sift your flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Take two tablespoons of flour and add it to the cherries and walnuts, mix well.
- Add the remaining flour into the butter mixture and mix well. Now add the coconut cream, mix well. Finally, fold in the cherry-walnut-flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the prepared batter into the loaf pan and bake at 160 C for roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes. Keep checking after an hour. Once a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes then remove the cake from the pan to cool completely.
- Garnish with more cherries, I added a simple glaze by mixing icing sugar and lemon juice.
BUY THE INGREDIENTS (UNITED STATES)