Cherries are my favourite kind of stone fruit. I always eat them as is since childhood, my mom used to get boxes of cherries and I would snack on them all the time so it’s a given that now I have to use them in baking because cherries are soooo delicious!
This cake is just something that popped into my head. I had been thinking of recipe ideas for the past week, then surprisingly I found some extremely stunning cherries and voila! This cake became a reality and it is finger-lickin’ good. It’s really easy to make and quite customizable. I’ll stop talking and get to the recipe.
If you like my photography please follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. I post every day on my Instagram you won’t miss a thing.
Until next time!
Cherry Coconut Loaf Cake (with walnuts)
- 165 g unsalted butter
- 10 ml coconut oil
- 100 g castor sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60 g chopped walnuts you can use other nuts or even chocolate chips
- 110 g cherries measured after removing seeds
- 100 ml full fat coconut cream or coconut milk for a lighter version
- Wash and pit your cherries add them into a bowl along with the walnuts, keep aside. Preheat your oven to 160 C. Grease and line an approx 21 cm x 8.5 cm loaf pan.
- In a medium-large bowl add the butter, coconut oil and sugars. Whisk well until the mixture gets light and fluffy (you may use a stand mixer or hand mixer). Then add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition, followed by the vanilla.
- Sift your flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Take two tablespoons of flour and add it to the cherries and walnuts, mix well.
- Add the remaining flour into the butter mixture and mix well. Now add the coconut cream, mix well. Finally, fold in the cherry-walnut-flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the prepared batter into the loaf pan and bake at 160 C for roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes. Keep checking after an hour. Once a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes then remove the cake from the pan to cool completely.
- Garnish with more cherries, I added a simple glaze by mixing icing sugar and lemon juice.
BUY THE INGREDIENTS (UNITED STATES)
Hi, looks great! I was wondering if it could be made eggless and what would be the substitute for eggs and what quantity. Thanks. Rene
Hi, thank you so much! This recipe is based on a pound cake so it needs eggs. However, I will try and find a proper substitute and get back to you.