Chocolate and orange is a combination I grew up disliking heavily. But little did I know it was because I always tried the dishes that used artificial orange flavour! I fell in love the day I just randomly dipped an orange in some melted chocolate and tasted the incredible combination. It made my tastebuds go crazy.
I have way more chocolate recipes on my blog than necessary, but I am not going to stop anyway. This time I decided that I am going to make this recipe as good for you as possible without compromising on the texture and flavour. If I am being honest, this cake has turned out way better than I ever imagined. You will never realize that it has all wholewheat flour and that it is eggless!!!
This cake uses:
- 100% whole wheat flour
- 100% organic cane sugar
- is 100% egg-free
Please follow the recipe as is and do not make any substitutions.
If you use a cake pan of a different size, the baking time will vary.
Whole wheat Eggless Chocolate & Orange Cake
For the cake:
- 180 g whole wheat flour
- 20 g cornstarch or cornflour
- 60 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 220 g organic cane sugar/brown sugar
- 120 ml sunflower oil
- 250 ml warm milk
- 25 ml yoghurt/sour cream
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest freshly grated
- 70 ml freshly squeezed orange juice strain to remove seeds
For the ganache:
- 150 g chopped chocolate
- 120 ml heavy cream
Make the cake:
- To make a taller cake, I used a deep 7 inch round cake pan. Grease and line it with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 175C.
- Add the cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt in a medium-large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, warm up the milk. Once it is hot, slowly pour this in a steady stream into the cocoa powder mixture, stirring with a whisk continuously. This will avoid lumps and result in a smooth, homogenous mixture.
- Add the sugar and yoghurt into this and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now add the vinegar, vanilla, orange zest, orange juice and oil. Stir until combined.
- Sift the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and cornflour and gently fold with a spatula till you no longer see any dry flour.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared cake pan, tap the pan on the kitchen counter to release any air bubbles and bake at 175C for roughly 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down completely inside the pan on a wire rack before removing and slathering with ganache.
Make the ganache:
- Heat the cream in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl or on the stove in a heavy bottom saucepan, just until it simmers. Add the chopped chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir to combine and leave it at room temperature for an hour or two till it is thick enough to spread on top of the cake.