Why do I need to beat the butter and sugar for so long?
You have to do so to incorporate enough air in the mixture otherwise the cake will not rise properly
What is mawa?
Mawa is a very commonly used ingredient in Indian households, specially to make Indian sweets. It is basically cooked milk solids.
What vinegar can I use?
You can use regular synthetic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
Baking time for cake?
Baking time varies depending on the colour of the pan you use and also your oven temperature. For my oven the cake takes anywhere between 30-35 minutes. You will need to see when the cake looks risen and lightly golden on top approx around 30 minutes, check with a skewer and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Can I also add cardamom?
Yes you can add around 1/4 tsp ground cardamom for extra flavour.
Eggless Mawa Cake (without condensed milk or yoghurt)
- 180 g all-purpose flour/maida
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 30 g ghee
- 120 g sugar preferably powdered
- 240 ml milk
- 120 g Mawa Home made or store bought – 1/2 cup packed
- 1/4 tsp rose extract/cardamom extract/saffron extract optional
- Grease and line an 7 or 8 inch loaf pan, preheat your oven to 175C
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set it aside.
- In separate bowl add the mawa, ghee & sugar. Whisk well until combined. Now add the milk. Whisk till super smooth.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into this wet mixture & gently mix till JUST combined.
- Please read the notes (FAQ) above the recipe to make sure your cake turns out perfectly.
- Pour into prepped mould, tap gently on the counter to smoothen batter & run a knife through the centre as shown in the video for that classic pound cake look.
- Bake for roughly 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes clean. Let the cake cool completely before enjoying! NOTE: This baking time is for a 7-inch loaf pan.
- IMPORTANT: If you use an 8 or 9 inch loaf pan the baking time will change. Please don’t make any changes or substitutions, it will change the end results.
Leave a Reply