Pumpkin Spice Latte Cake with Cappuccino Popcorn
Okay so this cake was an absolute experiment, why you ask? Because I have never had a pumpkin spice latte because there’s no Starbucks where we live. I know, I know. Don’t judge me. Anyway, so I was sure that I want to make a cake and that it should look grand, hence this cake. I cannot tell you how soft this cake turned out. It will totally steal your heart because it’s just so soft and tender, combined with the crunchy cappuccino popcorn and the intense chocolate ganache, you are guaranteed to fall in love.
This cake is quite small, I used three five inch cake pans, I always love tall cakes. However you can use whatever type of cake pan you have for this cake. Coming to the cappuccino popcorn, what can I say, I am sure that it is my favourite type of popcorn in the world. It’s highly addictive, have one and you can’t stop. Although if you’re not a fan of coffee flavoured popcorn you can also use Caramel popcorn. Either way, if you can find or make any of these then make sure you put them on the cake and in between the layers, they add a wonderful texture and taste to the cake. BUT if you are not a fan of popcorn, you can totally leave it out. The world is your oyster. Let’s get baking!
For the cake-
120 g All purpose flour
120 g dark brown sugar
2 tsp instant coffee/espresso powder
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 small egg
100 ml vegetable oil
40 g soft unsalted butter
190 ml pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
170 ml heavy cream
180 g chopped dark chocolate (60-70% cocoa solids)
A pinch of salt
1. Grease and line three 5 inch round cake tins and preheat your oven at 175°C
2. Sift all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl (AP flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, coffee)
3. In a separate bowl, add the oil and butter and with a whisk blend these two well, then add the sugar and mix until well incorporated. Then add the egg and mix well. Then add the vanilla.
4. Now add half of the sifted dry ingredients and whisk until almost incorporated. Then add the pumpkin puree and whisk gently. Then add the remaining dry ingredients and fold in with a spatula, don’t over mix.
5. Divide the batter evenly into the cake tins and bake for roughly 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. Once baked, let the cakes cool down on a wire rack in the tins.
7. Make the ganache: in a microwave safe bowl, heat the cream till it just comes to a boil and then add the chopped chocolate and cover the bowl for two minutes. Then stir well until incorporated and add a pinch of salt.
8. Stack the cakes and fill the ganache in between the layers, add the popcorn in between the layers if you like, cover the entire cake with the ganache and top with more popcorn. Sprinkle lots of icing sugar on top. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
(Make sure your cakes are completely cool before you put the cake together, you can also refrigerate it if you want the cakes to be easier to work with.)
This cake tastes best the day it’s made. However you may refrigerate it to keep longer. I wouldn’t advice keeping it for more than 2 days.
I hope you like this cake, it’s a versatile and different kind of cake. Everyone at our home really liked it. Also if you are not a fan of pumpkin you still should try it because somehow it tastes great, my sister doesn’t like pumpkins and she gave this cake a thumbs up!
Do try it and give me your feedback, I really appreciate it.
Hope you guys are doing well.
Talk to you soon,