Veggie Burgers (that taste AMAZING! – I Promise) (Vegan options)
It’s really hard to believe. I know. But you’ve got to trust me on this, these burgers if you serve them at a party or bring them to a potluck no one will be able to guess what is in them, but I am telling you one thing for sure that they will LOVE THEM.
I don’t post a recipe on this website unless my family approves it cause they’re my best critics and these burgers got me so many hugs and thank yous and wow what did you put in thems for these. My sister legit asked me ‘Is this a beef burger? I’m sure it’s beef’ and I was laughing all the time hahaha!
I am not some nutritionist or health expert to claim that this is an extremely healthy burger, but I know this much that it is healthier compared to the ones that you buy in the store. And they taste splendid! I almost want to come out of the screen and make it and feed you this burger so that you understand that I am not exaggerating one bit.
**READ – IMPORTANT**
Anyway, a few things to keep in mind, in Ahmedabad where I live, we do not get vegan cheese or vegan mayo or vegan BBQ sauce, and of what I have found, it is very expensive if available and/or extremely difficult to find. You can make them at home definitely, there are plenty of recipes online, as for the other readers of our blog, I believe all my friends from the UK and the States won’t have any difficulty in finding the vegan products. This recipe can be made totally vegan and gluten-free if you wish. This recipe is very forgiving. Also, according to the size of the patties I made, I could make four burgers. You may need to double the recipe if you want to make more. I used around 1/2 cup mixture for one patty. Okay, I will shut up now.
Let’s eat some BURGERS 😁
This recipe is inspired by the vegan burger recipes by Olivia from www.livb.ca and from my lovely blogger friend Samantha from http://wholesomepatisserie.com both these people have amazing recipes and you should definitely check them out!
Burger buns- 4 buns (homemade or store-bought)
Dough- 1×(400g) can beans (I used mixed beans, you can use any of your choice)
1/2 cup fresh parsley
10 button mushrooms
2 spring onions diced
Salt to taste
Paprika 2 tsp (or more)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tbsp barbecue sauce
Forming – Roughly 1 cup quick cooking oats (you may need more to form a workable dough)
Frying – About 2 tbsp oil for frying
Barbecue sauce – for coating the patties before baking them in the oven
Cheese slices of choice to top the patties
Veggies for the burger – I used fresh lettuce, tomatoes and red onions ( You can add coleslaw, spinach, pickles or any veggies of your choice)
Mayonnaise (Vegan or Regular) – I used Mayo+sriracha to make a spicy mayo, you can use any type of mayo.
- Add all the ingredients in the patties section, from beans to barbecue sauce into a food processor and pulse until you have an almost smooth but lumpy mix, you don’t want a very smooth mixture. You can do this in a bowl by using a masher or a fork but it will just take a little longer and I will suggest chopping the mushrooms if you do this step by hand.
- Once this step is done, transfer this mixture to a large bowl and add the oats (use quick cooking oats) and using a spatula/spoon or even your hand is fine, work it in, if your dough is workable enough to form into patties then don’t add more oats, if not keep adding oats till you reach that stage. Adjust your salt and spice at this stage.
- Form patties according to your desired shape and size and in a non-stick frying pan add the oil and fry for about 5 minutes on each side or until it is almost cooked through but not all the way, it should be slightly brown on both sides.
- Now you can let the patties cool down and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days and continue with the rest of the recipe later when you want to have burgers OR you can cook them all the way and eat them as is OR go ahead and do the next step 😁
- Preheat your oven to 200° C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the patties on the parchment paper and put a little barbecue sauce on the side that’s on top, I used about 1/2 tsp and just spread it with a silicone brush. Bake these for 10 minutes at 200°C, take them out, flip them, repeat with barbecue sauce on the other side and add the cheese slices on top of this side of the patties, bake them for another 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and assemble the burgers.
- Use your favourite buns, apply mayo on both sides, stack your veggies and patties and ENJOY!!
I know this recipe looks long and appears like it is hard but I promise it is EXTREMELY EASY it just seems like a lot of steps. PROMISE.
Make these, eat these and thank me later. I love you guys.
Also, if you like my photography please follow me on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. I post every day on my Instagram so you won’t miss a thing. And one last thing, if you are a resident of Ahmedabad and you want to devour any of my baked goods you can contact me here and we can talk ahead.
I hope you guys try this recipe and have lots of fun with it. Until next time!